Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday's of the Past......

I really kind of miss the Saturday's of my youth. If only we knew how carefree those time were, compared to life as an adult, we'd have appreciated them even more!

I think I have a pretty solid appreciation of my youth and while some aspects of those times don't bring back wonderful memories, overall, I'd say I was pretty fortunate as a kid. Kids of today, don't really stay kids, they grow up and mature far too fast, I think. Looking back at my youth, I would be considered almost a baby by today's kids.

Saturday mornings used to be filled with the greatest toons, ever! Let's see, Scooby Doo, Speed Buggy, Bugs Bunny, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Davey and Goliath, etc...etc...etc. Fruity Pebbles was the cereal I loved most, it seems, well, that and Frankenberry and Booberry. I was introduced to classic sci-fi and horror films, thanks to Dad. When I was a kid, cable didn't come out to our neck of the woods, so we got two channels in the Summer and maybe three or four, in Autumn and Winter. Dad used to go out about 12:30PM and start 'tweaking' the antenna, so he and I or I could watch a Creature Feature that came on at 1:00PM. Usually, a heavy 'snow' was what I watched many of the films through, but I didn't care, it was great fun and something Dad worked hard for me to enjoy.

Mom and Dad used to go out on Saturday night, occasionally. I remember they always dressed for the night out....Dad in a sports-coat and tie and Mom in a dress. On Saturday nights that they didn't go out, an occasional treat would be, Jiffy-Pop popcorn.....remember that?! That was a really big deal, because we didn't have much in the way of snacks, when I was a kid. Oh and on rare occasions, we would get a TV dinner as a treat for lunch on Saturday afternoon....I remember when the Kid Cuisine meals first came out. Those were a big deal.

Quite often, I'd spend Friday and Saturday with a cousin or they'd stay with me. That was always a special time, I was the oldest and the only girl, so it was nice to have someone close to my own age to play with. Sometimes, I'd stay with my grandparents and that was always a thrill. I was spoiled rotten by Grandma and Granddad and even GB, when I'd stay with her, but poor GB had a truckload of grandkids, so getting one on one time with her was a little more rare. I remember, she and I would watch The FBI on late-night TV and the original Mission: Impossible series, too. When I'd stay with Grandma and Granddad, they always made me feel like I was the most special person in their lives, so that was great fun.

I don't think I was spoiled, overall. My parents were strict and as a result, I think I have a lot more respect for them and others. They did indulge me, whenever possible....I always volunteered my Mom to be the 'Room Mother' in school and God bless her, she'd bring goodies to school and would bring craft ideas to my class and we'd do stuff like that. I guess one time I told my class that my Dad would bring a Christmas tree for our room. I think Dad said back then, the tree was $5 or $10 and while it doesn't seem like much, now, it was a lot of money, then and especially at Christmas. Dad said he couldn't be angry with me, especially when he got the tree in the room and saw how excited I was, as well as all my classmates. As mentioned, we didn't have cable in our area, but my Grandma and Granddad, who lived across the river, did have access and the year I was 9 or 10, Space: 1999 was a big thing. It came on at 7:00PM, I think and while Dad wouldn't take me every week and I never asked, he would occasionally take me over and he'd have coffee with Grandma and Granddad, while I watched my episode. Now, that meant Grandma and Granddad gave up TV to me for an hour and they did it, gladly. Things like that meant a lot to me and I still appreciate it, today.

While nothing can ever bring those days back, I do try and make a Saturday afternoon like a trip to the past, as I pop in some classic sci-hi or horror DVD in every Saturday. Thanks Mom, Dad, Grandma, Granddad and GB for these precious memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment